Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heaprelations, t

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heaprelations, t
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 11:14 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I wrote:
> > Amit Kapila <akapila@postgresql.org> writes:
> >> Avoid creation of the free space map for small heap relations, take 2.
>
> > I think this patch still has some issues.
>
> Just out of curiosity ... how can it possibly be even a little bit sane
> that fsm_local_map is a single static data structure, without even any
> indication of which table it is for?

It is just for finding a free block among a few blocks of relation.
We clear this when we have found a block with enough free space, when
we extend the relation, or on transaction abort.  So, I think we don't
need any per table information.

> If, somehow, there's a rational argument for that design, why is it
> not explained in freespace.c?  The most charitable interpretation of
> what I see there is that it's fatally undercommented.

There is some explanation in freespace.c and in README
(src/backend/storage/freespace/README).  I think we should add some
more information where this data structure (FSMLocalMap) is declared.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heaprelations, t
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heaprelations, t