Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 3:48 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:58:18AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:32 AM Masahiko Sawada
> ><masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> >> I thought that the stats are relevant to what
> >> logical_decoding_work_mem value was but not with who performed logical
> >> decoding. So even if multiple backends perform logical decoding using
> >> the same slot, the user can directly use stats as long as
> >> logical_decoding_work_mem value doesn’t change.
> >>

> >I think if you maintain these stats at the slot level, you probably
> >need to use spinlock or atomic ops in order to update those as slots
> >can be used from multiple backends whereas currently, we don't need
> >that.
>
> IMHO storing the stats in the slot itself is a bad idea. We have the
> statistics collector for exactly this purpose, and it's receiving data
> over UDP without any extra locking etc.

> >> I might want to see the stats for the exited processes or after server
> >> restart. But I'm inclined to agree with displaying the stats per
> >> process if the stats are displayed on a separate view (e.g.
> >> pg_stat_replication_slots).
> >>

> >Yeah, as told previously, this makes more sense to me.
> >
> >Do you think we should try to write a POC patch using a per-process
> >entry approach and see what difficulties we are facing and does it
> >give the stats in a way we are imagining but OTOH, we can wait for
> >some more to see if there is clear winner approach here?
> >

> I may be missing something obvious, but I still see no point in tracking
> per-process stats. We don't have that for other stats,

Won't we display per-process information in pg_stat_replication?
These stats are currently displayed in that view and one of the
shortcomings was that it won't display these stats when we decode via
backend.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.