От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: row filtering for logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 8:24 AM houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com
<houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 3:18 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 1:16 PM houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com <houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> > > Based on this direction, I tried to write a top up POC patch(0005) which I'd
> > > like to share.
> > >
> > > The top up patch mainly did the following things.
> > >
> > > * Move the row filter columns invalidation to CheckCmdReplicaIdentity, so
> > > that the invalidation is executed only when actual UPDATE or DELETE executed on
> > > the published relation. It's consistent with the existing check about replica
> > > identity.
> > >
> > > * Cache the results of the validation for row filter columns in relcache to
> > > reduce the cost of the validation. It's safe because every operation that
> > > change the row filter and replica identity will invalidate the relcache.
> > >
> > > Also attach the v42 patch set to keep cfbot happy.
> >
> > Hi Hou-san.
> >
> > Thanks for providing your "top-up" 0005 patch!
> >
> > I suppose the goal will be to later merge this top-up with the current
> > 0002 validation patch, but in the meantime here are my review comments
> > for 0005.
>
> Thanks for the review and many valuable comments !
>
> > 8) src/backend/executor/execReplication.c - CheckCmdReplicaIdentity
> >
> > But which are the bad filter columns?
> >
> > Previously the Row Filter column validation gave errors for the
> > invalid filter column, but in this top-up patch there is no indication
> > which column or which filter or which publication was the bad one -
> > only that "something" bad was detected. IMO this might make it very
> > difficult for the user to know enough about the cause of the problem
> > to be able to fix the offending filter.
>
> If we want to report the invalid filter column, I can see two possibilities.
>
> 1) Instead of a bool flag, we cache a AttrNumber flag which indicates the
>    invalid column number(0 means all valid). We can report it in the error
>    message.
>
> 2) Everytime we decide to report an error, we traverse all the publications to
>    find the invalid column again and report it.
>
> What do you think ?

I think we can probably give an error inside
RelationGetPublicationInfo(we can change the name of the function
based on changed functionality). Basically, if the row_filter is valid
then we can copy publication info from relcache and return it in
beginning, otherwise, allow it to check publications again. In error
cases, it shouldn't matter much to not use the cached information.
This is to some extent how the other parameters like rd_fkeyvalid and
rd_partcheckvalid works. One more thing, similar to some of the other
things isn't it better to manage pubactions and new bool flag directly
in relation instead of using PublicationInfo?

> 16) Tests... CREATE PUBLICATION succeeds
>
> > I have not yet reviewed any of the 0005 tests, but there was some big
> > behaviour difference that I noticed.
> >
> > I think now with the 0005 top-up patch the replica identify validation
> > is deferred to when UPDATE/DELETE is executed. I don’t know if this
> > will be very user friendly. It means now sometimes you can
> > successfully CREATE a PUBLICATION even though it will fail as soon as
> > you try to use it.
>
> I am not sure, the initial idea here is to make the check of replica identity
> consistent.
>
> Currently, if user create a publication which publish "update" but the relation
> in the publication didn't mark as replica identity, then user can create the
> publication successfully. but the later UPDATE will report an error.

Yeah, I think giving an error on Update/Delete should be okay.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.