Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 5:14 AM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 09/21/2016 08:04 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>

> (c) Although it's not visible in the results, 4.5.5 almost perfectly
> eliminated the fluctuations in the results. For example when 3.2.80 produced
> this results (10 runs with the same parameters):
>
>     12118 11610 27939 11771 18065
>     12152 14375 10983 13614 11077
>
> we get this on 4.5.5
>
>     37354 37650 37371 37190 37233
>     38498 37166 36862 37928 38509
>
> Notice how much more even the 4.5.5 results are, compared to 3.2.80.

how long each run was?  Generally, I do half-hour run to get stable results.

> (d) There's no sign of any benefit from any of the patches (it was only
> helpful >= 128 clients, but that's where the tps actually dropped on 3.2.80
> - apparently 4.5.5 fixes that and the benefit is gone).
>
> It's a bit annoying that after upgrading from 3.2.80 to 4.5.5, the
> performance with 32 and 64 clients dropped quite noticeably (by more than
> 10%). I believe that might be a kernel regression, but perhaps it's a price
> for improved scalability for higher client counts.
>
> It of course begs the question what kernel version is running on the machine
> used by Dilip (i.e. cthulhu)? Although it's a Power machine, so I'm not sure
> how much the kernel matters on it.

cthulhu is a x86 m/c and the kernel version is 3.10.  Seeing, the
above results I think kernel version do matter, but does that mean we
ignore the benefits we are seeing on somewhat older kernel version.  I
think right answer here is to do some experiments which can show the
actual contention as suggested by Robert and you.

> I'll ask someone else with access to this particular machine to repeat the
> tests, as I have a nagging suspicion that I've missed something important
> when compiling / running the benchmarks. I'll also retry the benchmarks on
> 3.2.80 to see if I get the same numbers.
>

>> Okay, but I think it is better to see the results between 64~128
>> client count and may be greater than128 client counts, because it is
>> clear that patch won't improve performance below that.
>>

> There are results for 64, 128 and 192 clients. Why should we care about
> numbers in between? How likely (and useful) would it be to get improvement
> with 96 clients, but no improvement for 64 or 128 clients?

The only point to take was to see from where we have started seeing
improvement, saying that the TPS has improved from >=72 client count
is different from saying that it has improved from >=128.

>> No issues, I have already explained why I think it is important to
>> reduce the remaining CLOGControlLock contention in yesterday's and
>> this mail. If none of you is convinced, then I think we have no
>> choice but to drop this patch.
>>

> I agree it's useful to reduce lock contention in general, but considering
> the last set of benchmarks shows no benefit with recent kernel, I think we
> really need a better understanding of what's going on, what workloads /
> systems it's supposed to improve, etc.
>
> I don't dare to suggest rejecting the patch, but I don't see how we could
> commit any of the patches at this point. So perhaps "returned with feedback"
> and resubmitting in the next CF (along with analysis of improved workloads)
> would be appropriate.

Agreed with your conclusion and changed the status of patch in CF accordingly.

Many thanks for doing the tests.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.