Re: Compress ReorderBuffer spill files using LZ4

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Compress ReorderBuffer spill files using LZ4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 7:54 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2024-Jun-06, Amit Kapila wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 4:28 PM Julien Tachoires <julmon@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > When the content of a large transaction (size exceeding
> > > logical_decoding_work_mem) and its sub-transactions has to be
> > > reordered during logical decoding, then, all the changes are written
> > > on disk in temporary files located in pg_replslot/<slot_name>.
> > > Decoding very large transactions by multiple replication slots can
> > > lead to disk space saturation and high I/O utilization.
>
> I like the general idea of compressing the output of logical decoding.
> It's not so clear to me that we only want to do so for spilling to disk;
> for instance, if the two nodes communicate over a slow network, it may
> even be beneficial to compress when streaming, so to this question:
>
> > Why can't one use 'streaming' option to send changes to the client
> > once it reaches the configured limit of 'logical_decoding_work_mem'?
>
> I would say that streaming doesn't necessarily have to mean we don't
> want compression, because for some users it might be beneficial.

Fair enough. it would be an interesting feature if we see the wider
usefulness of compression/decompression of logical changes. For
example, if this can improve the performance of applying large
transactions (aka reduce the apply lag for them) even when the
'streaming' option is 'parallel' then it would have a much wider
impact.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.