Re: relfilenode statistics

От Bertrand Drouvot
Тема Re: relfilenode statistics
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 08:17:36PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2024-06-06 12:27:49 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 1:52 AM Bertrand Drouvot
> > <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think we should keep the stats in the relation during relfilenode changes.
> > > As a POC, v1 implemented a way to do so during TRUNCATE (see the changes in
> > > table_relation_set_new_filelocator() and in pg_statio_all_tables): as you can
> > > see in the example provided up-thread the new heap_blks_written statistic has
> > > been preserved during the TRUNCATE.
> >
> > Yeah, I think there's something weird about this design. Somehow we're
> > ending up with both per-relation and per-relfilenode counters:
> >
> > +                       pg_stat_get_blocks_written(C.oid) +
> > pg_stat_get_relfilenode_blocks_written(d.oid, CASE WHEN
> > C.reltablespace <> 0 THEN C.reltablespace ELSE d.dattablespace END,
> > C.relfilenode) AS heap_blks_written,
> >
> > I'll defer to Andres if he thinks that's awesome, but to me it does
> > not seem right to track some blocks written in a per-relation counter
> > and others in a per-relfilenode counter.
>
> It doesn't immediately sound awesome. Nor really necessary?
>
> If we just want to keep prior stats upon arelation rewrite, we can just copy
> the stats from the old relfilenode.

Agree, that's another option. But I think that would be in another field like
"cumulative_XXX" to ensure one could still retrieve stats that are "dedicated"
to this particular "new" relfilenode. Thoughts?

> Or we can decide that those stats don't
> really make sense anymore, and start from scratch.
>

> I *guess* I could see an occasional benefit in having both counter for "prior
> relfilenodes" and "current relfilenode" - except that stats get reset manually
> and upon crash anyway, making this less useful than if it were really
> "lifetime" stats.

Right but currently they are not lost during a relation rewrite. If we decide to
not keep the relfilenode stats during a rewrite then things like heap_blks_read
would stop surviving a rewrite (if we move it to relfilenode stats) while it
currently does.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot