От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: row filtering for logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 11:16 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 10:41 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> I think the point is if for some expression some
> > values are in old tuple and others are in new then the idea proposed
> > in the patch seems sane. Moreover, I think in your idea for each tuple
> > we might need to build a new expression and sometimes twice that will
> > beat the purpose of cache we have kept in the patch and I am not sure
> > if it is less costly.
>
> Basically, expression initialization should happen only once in most
> cases so with my suggestion you might have to do it twice.

No, the situation will be that we might have to do it twice per update
where as now, it is just done at the very first operation on a
relation.

>  But the
> overhead of extra expression evaluation is far less than doing
> duplicate evaluation because that will happen for sending each update
> operation right?

Expression evaluation has to be done twice because every update can
have a different set of values in the old and new tuple.

> > See another example where splitting filter might not give desired results:
> >
> > Say filter expression: (a = 10 and b = 20 and c = 30)
> >
> > Now, old_tuple has values for columns a and c and say values are 10
> > and 30. So, the old_tuple will match the filter if we split it as per
> > your suggestion. Now say new_tuple has values (a = 5, b = 15, c = 25).
> > In such a situation dividing the filter will give us the result that
> > the old_tuple is matching but new tuple is not matching which seems
> > incorrect. I think dividing filter conditions among old and new tuples
> > might not retain its sanctity.
>
> Yeah that is a good example to apply a duplicate filter, basically
> some filters might not even get evaluated on new tuples as the above
> example and if we have removed such expression on the other tuple we
> might break something.

Right.

>  Maybe for now this suggest that we might not
> be able to avoid the duplicate execution of the expression

So, IIUC, you agreed that let's proceed with the proposed approach and
we can later do optimizations if possible or if we get better ideas.

> > > Suppose filter is just (a > 10 and b < 20) and only if the a is
> > > updated, and if we are able to modify the filter for the oldtuple to
> > > be just (a>10) then also do we need to deform?
> > >

> > Without deforming, how will you determine which columns are part of
> > the old tuple?
>
> Okay, then we might have to deform, but at least are we ensuring that
> once we have deform the tuple for the expression evaluation then we
> are not doing that again while sending the tuple?

I think this is possible but we might want to be careful not to send
extra unchanged values as we are doing now.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Сообщение: Re: Logical replication timeout problem
Сообщение: Re: Logical replication timeout problem