Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 7:49 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I think it assumes that the situation where the user already knows
> > > multiple transactions that cannot be applied on the subscription but
> > > how do they know?
> > >

> > Either from the error messages in the server log or from the new view
> > we are planning to add. I think such a case is possible during the
> > initial synchronization phase where apply worker went ahead then
> > tablesync worker by skipping to apply the changes on the corresponding
> > table. After that it is possible, that table sync worker failed during
> > copy and apply worker fails during the processing of some other rel.
>
> Does it mean that if both initial copy for the corresponding table by
> table sync worker and applying changes for other rels by apply worker
> fail, we skip both by specifying LSN?

Yes.

> If so, can't we disable the
> initial copy for the table and skip only the changes for other rels
> that cannot be applied?

But anyway you need some way to skip changes via a particular
tablesync worker so that it can mark the relation in 'ready' state.  I
think one can also try to use disable_on_error option in such
scenarios depending on how we expose it. Say, if the option means that
all workers (apply or table sync) should be disabled on an error then
it would be a bit tricky but if we can come up with a way to behave
differently for different workers then it is possible to disable one
set of workers and skip the changes in another set of workers.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.