Re: pg_get_publication_tables() output duplicate relid

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: pg_get_publication_tables() output duplicate relid
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 1:45 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 8:31 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay, I see this could be a problem but I haven't tried to reproduce it.

> > I have thought about this problem and I see two possibilities for a
> > solution (a) We could provide a new option say 'truncate' (something
> > on lines proposed here [1]) which would truncate the table(s) and
> > change its status to 'i' in the pg_subscription_rel, this would allow
> > the newly added partition to be synced after refresh. This could lead
> > to a large copy in such a case.
>
> Maybe I am missing something about the proposal, though I'd think a
> more automatic solution would be better, something that doesn't need
> to rely on an unrelated feature.

Agreed, this was more of a workaround for users if we didn't get any
automatic solution.

> > (b) We could somehow get and store all
> > the partition info from the publisher-side on the subscriber-side
> > while initial sync (say in new system table
> > pg_subscription_rel_members). Now, after the refresh, if this list
> > changes, we can allow to just get the data of that particular
> > partition but I guess it would mean that we need to store oids of the
> > publisher which might or might not be safe considering oids can
> > wraparound before the refresh.
> >
> > Do you have any other ideas?
>
> I thought that the idea I had earlier mentioned at [1] may be useful,
> which I can see is similar to your idea (b). I also suspect that it
> can be implemented without needing a separate catalog and storing
> publication-side relation OIDs in the subscription-side catalog,
> though maybe I haven't thought hard enough.

The problem with storing this info in pg_subscription_rel as you were
describing in your proposal is that currently, we ensure that the same
table exists in subscriber and then store the subscriber side table id
in that catalog. I am not sure if we can store publisher-side oids in
that catalog and if we store then it would be confusing as now it will
have info of both publisher-side oids and subscriber-side oids. Isn't
that a problem with this approach?

One more problem with this overall approach is the risk of OID
wraparound. Say between Create Subscription and Alter Subscription ..
Refresh, we detach one partition, the oid wraparounds, and we
create/reattach another partition which gets the same oid as for the
partition which we detached earlier then we won't be able to identify
the new partition even after refresh.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.