Re: pg_get_publication_tables() output duplicate relid

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: pg_get_publication_tables() output duplicate relid
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 8:31 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 10:58 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 7:19 AM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The problematic case is attaching the partition *after* the subscriber
> > > has already marked the root parent as synced and/or ready for
> > > replication.  Refreshing the subscription doesn't help it discover the
> > > newly attached partition, because a publish_via_partition_root only
> > > ever tells about the root parent, which would be already synced, so
> > > the subscriber would think there's nothing to copy.
> >
> > Okay, I see this could be a problem but I haven't tried to reproduce it.

> > > Sure, we might need to do that after all.  Though it might be a good
> > > idea to be sure that we won't need to reconsider the fix we push for
> > > the issue(s) being discussed here and elsewhere, because I suspect
> > > that the solution to the problem I mentioned is likely to involve
> > > tweaking pg_publication_tables view output.
>
> I have thought about this problem and I see two possibilities for a
> solution (a) We could provide a new option say 'truncate' (something
> on lines proposed here [1]) which would truncate the table(s) and
> change its status to 'i' in the pg_subscription_rel, this would allow
> the newly added partition to be synced after refresh. This could lead
> to a large copy in such a case.

Maybe I am missing something about the proposal, though I'd think a
more automatic solution would be better, something that doesn't need
to rely on an unrelated feature.

> (b) We could somehow get and store all
> the partition info from the publisher-side on the subscriber-side
> while initial sync (say in new system table
> pg_subscription_rel_members). Now, after the refresh, if this list
> changes, we can allow to just get the data of that particular
> partition but I guess it would mean that we need to store oids of the
> publisher which might or might not be safe considering oids can
> wraparound before the refresh.
>
> Do you have any other ideas?

I thought that the idea I had earlier mentioned at [1] may be useful,
which I can see is similar to your idea (b). I also suspect that it
can be implemented without needing a separate catalog and storing
publication-side relation OIDs in the subscription-side catalog,
though maybe I haven't thought hard enough.

> One more thing you mentioned is that the initial sync won't work after
> refresh but later changes will be replicated but I noticed that later
> changes also don't get streamed till we restart the subscriber server.
> I am not sure but we might not be invalidating apply workers cache due
> to which it didn't notice the same.

Oh, that sounds odd and, as you appear to say, a separate problem.  I'll check.

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BHiwqHnDHcT4OOcga9rDFyc7TvDrpN5xFH9J2pyHQo9ptvjmQ%40mail.gmail.com