Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:41 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 3:32 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> Only replying to the replication origin point, other comment looks
> fine to me so I will work on those.
>
> > Replication Origins
> > ------------------------------
> > I think we also need to conclude on origins related discussion [1].
> > As far as I can see, the origin_id can be sent with the first startup
> > message. The origin_lsn and origin_commit can be sent with the last
> > start of streaming commit if we want but not sure if that is of use.
> > If we need to send it earlier then we need to record it with other WAL
> > records.  The point is that those are set with
> > pg_replication_origin_xact_setup but not sure how and when that
> > function is called.
>
> pg_replication_origin_xact_setup is exposed function so this will
> allow a user to set an origin for their session so that all the
> operation done from that session will be marked by that origin id.

Hmm, I think that can be done by pg_replication_origin_session_setup.

> And the clear use case for this is to avoid sending such transactions
> by suing FilterByOrigin.   But I am not sure about the point that we
> discussed at [1] that what is the use of the origin and origin_lsn we
> send at pgoutput_begin_txn.

I could see the use of 'origin' with FilterByOrigin but not sure how
origin_lsn can be used?

>  The other alternative is that we can ignore that
> > for now and once the usage is clear we can enhance it.  What do you
> > think?
>
> That seems like a sensible option to me.

I have responded to that another thread.  Let us see if someone
responds to it.  Feel free to add if you have some points related to
that thread.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.