Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 09/14/2016 05:29 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:55 AM, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> 2. Results
>>> ./pgbench -c $threads -j $threads -T 10 -M prepared postgres -f
>>> script.sql
>>> scale factor: 300
>>> Clients   head(tps)        grouplock(tps)          granular(tps)
>>> -------      ---------               ----------                   -------
>>> 128        29367                 39326                    37421
>>> 180        29777                 37810                    36469
>>> 256        28523                 37418                    35882
>>>

>>> grouplock --> 1) Group mode to reduce CLOGControlLock contention
>>> granular  --> 2) Use granular locking model
>>>
>>> I will test with 3rd approach also, whenever I get time.
>>>
>>> 3. Summary:
>>> 1. I can see on head we are gaining almost ~30 % performance at higher
>>> client count (128 and beyond).
>>> 2. group lock is ~5% better compared to granular lock.
>>

>> Sure, but you're testing at *really* high client counts here.  Almost
>> nobody is going to benefit from a 5% improvement at 256 clients.  You
>> need to test 64 clients and 32 clients and 16 clients and 8 clients
>> and see what happens there.  Those cases are a lot more likely than
>> these stratospheric client counts.
>>

> Right. My impression from the discussion so far is that the patches only
> improve performance with very many concurrent clients - but as Robert points
> out, almost no one is running with 256 active clients, unless they have 128
> cores or so. At least not if they value latency more than throughput.

See, I am also not in favor of going with any of these patches, if
they doesn't help in reduction of contention.  However, I think it is
important to understand, under what kind of workload and which
environment it can show the benefit or regression whichever is
applicable.  Just FYI, couple of days back one of EDB's partner who
was doing the performance tests by using HammerDB (which is again OLTP
focussed workload) on 9.5 based code has found that CLogControlLock
has the significantly high contention.  They were using
synchronous_commit=off in their settings.  Now, it is quite possible
that with improvements done in 9.6, the contention they are seeing
will be eliminated, but we have yet to figure that out.  I just shared
this information to you with the intention that this seems to be a
real problem and we should try to work on it unless we are able to
convince ourselves that this is not a problem.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Сообщение: Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Сообщение: Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers