Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> So?  Anything which can know the value of a GUC parameter can certainly
>>> know the selected port number.
>
>> 1. In case of registration of event source, either user has to pass the name
>>     or it uses hard coded default value, so if we use version number along with
>>     'PostgreSQL', it can be consistent.
>>     I don't see any way pgevent.c can know port number to append it to default
>>     value, am I missing something here?
>

> I think what we might want to do is redefine the server's behavior
> as creating an event named after the concatenation of event_source
> and port number, or maybe even get rid of event_source entirely and
> just say it's "PostgreSQL" followed by the port number.
  To accomplish this behaviour, each time server starts and stops,  we need to register and unregister event log using
mechanism described at below link to ensure that there is no mismatch between  what server uses and what OS knows.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/event-log-registration.html
  IIUC, this will be a much larger behaviour change.  What is the problem you are envisioning if we use version number,
yesterday I have given some examples about other softwares which  are registered in event log and uses version number,
soI don't  understand why it is big deal if we also use version number along with  PostgreSQL as a default value and if
userspecifies any particular name  then use the same.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: Add min and max execute statement time in pg_stat_statement
От: Ronan Dunklau
Сообщение: Re: Triggers on foreign tables