Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source
Дата
Re: [bug fix] pg_ctl always uses the same event source  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. In case of registration of event source, either user has to pass the name
>>>     or it uses hard coded default value, so if we use version number along with
>>>     'PostgreSQL', it can be consistent.
>>>     I don't see any way pgevent.c can know port number to append it to default
>>>     value, am I missing something here?
>>

>> I think what we might want to do is redefine the server's behavior
>> as creating an event named after the concatenation of event_source
>> and port number, or maybe even get rid of event_source entirely and
>> just say it's "PostgreSQL" followed by the port number.
>
>    To accomplish this behaviour, each time server starts and stops,
>    we need to register and unregister event log using mechanism
>    described at below link to ensure that there is no mismatch between
>    what server uses and what OS knows.
>    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/event-log-registration.html

Why wouldn't that be necessary with your approach, too?  I mean, if
there's a GUC that controls the event source name, then it can be
changed between restarts, regardless of what you call it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company