Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Дата
Ответ на Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Ответы Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
>>> I think you're getting way too hung up on the fact that the proposed
>>> auto.conf will be stored as a flat file.  From your comments upthread,
>>> I gather that you'd be rejoicing if it were a table.
>
>> I'd be happy if it was a table which managed an *independent* set of
>> parameters from those used to bootstrap the system, but no one seems to
>> like breaking up the options between "things that can be sanely modified
>> without other OS changes" and "things which require OS support".
>
> I agree with Robert's comments upthread that if the new facility can't do
> everything that can be done today by editing postgresql.conf, it's not
> going to be adequate.  So I'm not in favor of having two sets of
> parameters.  It's also not clear to me that we can make a reliable
> distinction between parameters that can prevent a server restart vs those
> that can't; or at least, the set of the latter will be much smaller than
> one could wish.

Now as we have an agreement, I had updated patch for below left issues:
1. ALTER SYSTEM SET should be constrained to only set known GUCs, this
point has been discussed on another mail thread
   (http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/14857.1378523977@sss.pgh.pa.us)
   In function AlterSystemSetConfigFile(), when we try to get the
record using find_option(), pass second parameter as false which will
make sure
   if the parameter doesn't exist it will return NULL.
2. Some indentation issues.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Вложения