Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 5:37 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Check.
> >>

> > What is the need of holding locks one-by-one during checkpoint when
> > we anyway are going to take lock on all the insertion slots.
>
> A couple of records can slip in while scanning the progress LSN
> through all the locks.

Do you see any benefit in allowing checkpoints for such cases considering
bgwriter will anyway take care of logging standby snapshot for such
cases?
I don't think there is any reasonable benefit by improving the situation of
idle-system check for checkpoint other than just including
standbysnapshot WAL record.  OTOH as checkpoint is not so seldom
operation, so allowing such a change should be okay, but I don't see
the need for same.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.