Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10 October 2011 18:45, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 18:39 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>>  So the default boundaries should be '[]' as opposed to '[)' as it is
>> now.
>
> Would that vary between range types? In other words, do I bring back
> default_flags?
>
> If not, I think a lot of people will object. The most common use-case
> for range types are for continuous ranges like timestamps. And (as I
> pointed out in reply to Florian) there are good reasons to use the '[)'
> convention for those cases.

I'm proposing it for discrete ranges.  For continuous ranges, I guess
it makes sense to have "up to, but not including".  The same boundary
inclusivity/exclusivity thing seems unintuitive for discrete ranges.
This has the downside of inconsistency, but I don't think that's
really a solid argument against it since their use will be different
anyway.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion