configuring the postmaster.log

От Marc Mamin
Тема configuring the postmaster.log
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

I'm confused about the logging destination parameters in  postgresql.conf

My Problem is that the postmaster.log is getting too large and I want to roll it (once per day)

Following parameters apply to optional postgresql...log.

log_rotation_age = 1440
log_filename = 'postgresql-%Y-%m-%d_%H.log'

Is there a way to use a similar definition for the postmaster.log ?

When I generate postgresql...log files, are  log messages written in both
postmaster.log and postgresql.log ?

I guess I don't understand the meaning of these two different logging destination.

Moreover, I'm catching the error stream in a perl application to log errors:

   $sth = $dbh->prepare( "select ..." );
   $sth->execute ()||
      print (STDERR "PG error:" . $sth->errstr ."\n") && exit 1;
   $sth->finish;

Will I still get the postgres error in perl if I set redirect_stderr = on in  postgresql.conf  ?

Thanks,

Marc