Re: old cluster does not use data checksums but the new one does

От Mariel Cherkassky
Тема Re: old cluster does not use data checksums but the new one does
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I see. To be honest i'm not so familiar with the checksums feature but I understood that it is recommended to enable it in order to identify disk corruptions. How useful is it ? In my case I'm upgrading a cluster that was installed with checksums enabled so I have to choose between enabling it and increasing the downtime (I'm familiar with logical replication decided, in this case the upgrade happens when the system is down..) or disabling it and decreasing the downtime. The question is how bad is it if I'll disable it ?

‫בתאריך יום א׳, 5 במאי 2019 ב-23:44 מאת ‪Scott Ribe‬‏ <‪scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com‬‏>:‬
> On May 5, 2019, at 2:42 PM, Mariel Cherkassky <mariel.cherkassky@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> in aspect of upgrade, what will be faster, pg_upgrade or dump and restore each db in the cluster ?

pg_upgrade is faster, potentially *MUCH* faster, but it does not allow you to change anything about the on-disk data structure, and storage of checksums is such a change.

Сообщение: Re: old cluster does not use data checksums but the new one does
Сообщение: Re: old cluster does not use data checksums but the new one does