Re: change bigint column to int

От Mariel Cherkassky
Тема Re: change bigint column to int
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
You are talking about running alter table x alter column type int; Indeed I agree with you that it will have an  AccessExclusiveLock  on the entire lock. But what if instead I'm doing all the next steps :
1.add a new column
2.update the values in the new column
3.drop constraints on the old column
4.drop old column
5.rename new column to be the old one
6.add new constraints on the new col

I think that in this case the only step that will require AccessExclusiveLock will be at step 5/6 while in the other steps it will require   RowExclusiveLock.

What do you think ?

‫בתאריך יום ה׳, 1 בנוב׳ 2018 ב-13:08 מאת ‪Shreeyansh Dba‬‏ <‪shreeyansh2014@gmail.com‬‏>:‬
Hi Mariel,

After changing the column bigint to int size get reduced.

But it has two huge and interrelated problems: locking and time. This approach locks the table for as long as the command takes to run. And by lock, taking a heavy “access exclusive” lock which shuts everything else out of the table. If your table is small, this is not an issue.