Re: psycopg is the new psycopg3?

От Daniele Varrazzo
Тема Re: psycopg is the new psycopg3?
Дата
Re: psycopg is the new psycopg3?  (Denis Laxalde <denis.laxalde@dalibo.com>)
Список psycopg
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 08:47, Federico Di Gregorio <fog@dndg.it> wrote:

> Reading all the messages I have second toughts. If psycopg2 is here to
> stay, i.e., if it will not be completely replaced by "psycopg3" (and by
> completely I mean shutting down everything about it) then we will have
> the following situation:
>
> psycopg2 version 2.x.y
> psycopg  version 3.w.z
>
> that at first sight is a bit confusing, isn't it?

I have been settled with psycopg3 as the package name for a bit. Then,
a few days ago, releasing psycopg 2.9, I got to see some problems. The
main one is that, in order to respect semver, we should accept
introducing breaking changes only at the change of the main version.
People have been very confused to see breaking changes, although they
were minor, from 2.8 to 2.9.

Semver is much more an accepted, and expected, version number
organisation than having the major number in the package name. I can
expect to see psycopg 4, psycopg 5 etc. as we need to introduce
breaking changes. So I think, although going from psycopg2 v2.x to
psycopg v3.x might be confusing, the need to pin to the minor version
instead of the major is probably more so, and would come to bite us
much more often.

"import psycopg" is ready to merge
(https://github.com/psycopg/psycopg3/commit/7e526af8aca1c31b32a3ad55a0baf0de477c961c)

-- Daniele