Commitfest 2019-07, the first of five* for PostgreSQL 13

От Thomas Munro
Тема Commitfest 2019-07, the first of five* for PostgreSQL 13
Дата
Re: Commitfest 2019-07, the first of five* for PostgreSQL 13  (Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org>)
Re: Commitfest 2019-07, the first of five* for PostgreSQL 13  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello hackers,

The first Commitfest[1] for the next major release of PostgreSQL
begins in a few days, and runs for the month of July.  There are 218
patches registered[2] right now, and I'm sure we'll see some more at
the last minute.  PostgreSQL 13 needs you!

I volunteered to be the CF manager for this one, and Jonathan Katz
kindly offered to help me[3].  Assuming there are no objections and we
land this coveted role (I didn't see any other volunteers for CF1?), I
plan to start doing the sort of stuff listed on
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_a_CommitFest shortly, and
will then provide updates on this thread.  (Clearly some of that is
out of date WRT the "new" Commitfest app and process, so if there's a
better list somewhere please let me know; if not, perhaps one of our
tasks should be to update that).

Either way, please make sure your patches are in, and start signing up
to review things that you're interested in or can help with or want to
learn about.  If you've submitted patches, it'd be ideal if you could
try to review patches of similar size/complexity.  Every review helps:
whether proof-reading or copy-editing the documentation and comments
(or noting that they are missing), finding low level C programming
errors, providing high level architectural review, comparing against
the SQL standard or other relevant standards or  products, seeing if
appropriate regression tests are included, manual testing or ...
anything in between.  Testing might include functionality testing
(does it work as described, do all the supplied tests pass?),
performance/scalability testing, portability testing (eg does it work
on your OS?), checking with tools like valgrind, feature combination
checks (are there hidden problems when combined with partitions,
serializable, replication, triggers, ...?) and generally hunting for
weird edge cases the author didn't think of[4].

A couple of notes for new players:  We don't bite, and your
contributions are very welcome.  It's OK to review things that others
are already reviewing.  If you are interested in a patch and don't
know how to get started reviewing it or how to get it up and running
on your system, just ask and someone will be happy to point to or
provide more instructions.  You'll need to subscribe to this mailing
list if you haven't already.  If the thread for a CF entry began
before you were subscribed, you might be able to download the whole
thread as a mailbox file and import it into your email client so that
you can reply to the thread; if you can't do that (it can be
tricky/impossible on some email clients), ping me and I'll CC you so
you can reply.

*probably

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest
[2] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/23/
[3] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgCon_2019_Developer_Meeting#11:10_-_11:25.09Commitfest_Management
[4] "A QA engineer walks into a bar. Orders a beer. Orders 0 beers.
Orders 99999999999 beers. Orders a lizard. Orders -1 beers. Orders a
ueicbksjdhd. First real customer walks in and asks where the bathroom
is. The bar bursts into flames, killing everyone." -Brenan Keller

--
Thomas Munro
https://enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: Usage of epoch in txid_current
Сообщение: Re: Usage of epoch in txid_current