Re: Second-granular timezone offset format not documented

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Second-granular timezone offset format not documented
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 2:04 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I tried to interest them in dropping the LMT idea altogether [1].

FWIW, I agree with you.  It's meaningless because those coordinates
don't seem to be the meridians historically used for local mean time
(Trafalgar Square may be the prime meridian for pigeons, but real
London time was based on its most famous observatory long before
standardisation AFAICS, and if even that "zero case" is wrong, I guess
the rest are wrong too where there even is an answer; the year given
is also disputable).  That's all fine and well given the disclaimer
that it's meaningless, but then why even have it?  The LMT concept is
itself being applied proleptically (before the definition of mean
time, before the existence of the named cities, ...).  I think it
would be a whole lot more useful and less surprising to make standard
time proleptic instead, or just reject undefined conversions.