Re: Failures with gcd functions with GCC snapshots GCC and -O3 (?)

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Failures with gcd functions with GCC snapshots GCC and -O3 (?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 9:46 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
> >> It'd sure be nice if seawasp stopped spamming the buildfarm failure log,
> >> too.
>
> > There was a silent API breakage (same API, different behavior, how nice…)
> > in llvm main that Andres figured out, which will have to be fixed at some
> > point, so this is reminder that it is still a todo…
>
> If it were *our* todo, that would be one thing; but it isn't.

Over on the other thread[1] we learned that this is an API change
affecting reference counting semantics[2], so unless there is some
discussion somewhere about reverting the LLVM change that I'm unaware
of, I'm guessing we're going to need to change our code sooner or
later.  I have a bleeding edge LLVM on my dev machine, and I'm willing
to try to reproduce the crash and write the trivial patch (that is,
figure out the right preprocessor incantation to detect the version or
feature, and bump the reference count as appropriate), if Andres
and/or Fabien aren't already on the case.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKGLEy8mgtN7BNp0ooFAjUedDTJj5dME7NxLU-m91b85siA%40mail.gmail.com
[2] https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/c8fc5e3ba942057d6c4cdcd1faeae69a28e7b671