Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."
Дата
Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."  (Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 at 17:08, Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 at 22:25, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Masahiko-san,
> >
> > Please find the updated patch with the following new changes:
> >

> Thank you for updating the patch!
>
> > 1) It adds the code changes in heap_force_kill function to clear an
> > all-visible bit on the visibility map corresponding to the page that
> > is marked all-visible. Along the way it also clears PD_ALL_VISIBLE
> > flag on the page header.
>
> I think we need to clear all visibility map bits by using
> VISIBILITYMAP_VALID_BITS. Otherwise, the page has all-frozen bit but
> not all-visible bit, which is not a valid state.
>

> > 2) It adds the code changes in heap_force_freeze function to reset the
> > ctid value in a tuple header if it is corrupted.
> >
> > 3) It adds several notes and examples in the documentation stating
> > when and how we need to use the functions provided by this module.
> >
> > Please have a look and let me know for any other concern.
> >

> And here are small comments on the heap_surgery.c:
>
> +       /*
> +        * Get the offset numbers from the tids belonging to one particular page
> +        * and process them one by one.
> +        */
> +       blkno = tids_same_page_fetch_offnums(tids, ntids, &next_start_ptr,
> +                                            offnos);
> +
> +       /* Calculate the number of offsets stored in offnos array. */
> +       noffs = next_start_ptr - curr_start_ptr;
> +
> +       /*
> +        * Update the current start pointer so that next time when
> +        * tids_same_page_fetch_offnums() is called, we can calculate the number
> +        * of offsets present in the offnos array.
> +        */
> +       curr_start_ptr = next_start_ptr;
> +
> +       /* Check whether the block number is valid. */
> +       if (blkno >= nblocks)
> +       {
> +           ereport(NOTICE,
> +                   (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
> +                    errmsg("skipping block %u for relation \"%s\"
> because the block number is out of range",
> +                           blkno, RelationGetRelationName(rel))));
> +           continue;
> +       }
> +
> +       CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS();
>
> I guess it would be better to call CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() at the top
> of the do loop for safety. I think it's unlikely to happen but the
> user might mistakenly specify a lot of wrong block numbers.
>
> ----
> +   offnos = (OffsetNumber *) palloc(ntids * sizeof(OffsetNumber));
> +   noffs = curr_start_ptr = next_start_ptr = 0;
> +   nblocks = RelationGetNumberOfBlocks(rel);
> +
> +   do
> +   {

> [...]

Let me share other comments on the latest version patch:

Some words need to be tagged. For instance, I found the following words:

VACUUM
DISABLE_PAGE_SKIPPING
HEAP_XMIN_FROZEN
HEAP_XMAX_INVALID

---
+test=# select ctid from t1 where xmin = 507;
+ ctid
+-------
+ (0,3)
+(1 row)
+
+test=# select heap_force_freeze('t1'::regclass, ARRAY['(0, 3)']::tid[]);
+-[ RECORD 1 ]-----+-
+heap_force_freeze |

I think it's better to use a consistent output format. The former uses
the normal format whereas the latter uses the expanded format.

---
+ <note>
+ <para>
+  While performing surgery on a damaged relation, we must not be doing anything
+  else on that relation in parallel. This is to ensure that when we are
+  operating on a damaged tuple there is no other transaction trying to modify
+  that tuple.
+ </para>
+ </note>

If we prefer to avoid concurrent operations on the target relation why
don't we use AccessExclusiveLock?

---
+CREATE FUNCTION heap_force_kill(reloid regclass, tids tid[])
+RETURNS VOID
+AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME', 'heap_force_kill'
+LANGUAGE C STRICT;

+CREATE FUNCTION heap_force_freeze(reloid regclass, tids tid[])
+RETURNS VOID
+AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME', 'heap_force_freeze'
+LANGUAGE C STRICT;

I think these functions should be PARALLEL UNSAFE.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/