Re: Internal key management system

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Internal key management system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 10:57, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2020-02-08 12:07:57 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > For the same reason, I don't think that an "internal key management"
> > feature in the core code is ever going to be acceptable.  It has to
> > be an extension.  (But, as long as it's an extension, whether it's
> > bringing its own crypto or relying on some other extension for that
> > doesn't matter from the legal standpoint.)
>
> I'm not convinced by that. We have optional in-core functionality that
> requires external libraries, and we add more cases, if necessary. Given
> that the goal of this work is to be useful for on-disk encryption, I
> don't see moving it into an extension being viable?

As far as I researched it is significantly hard to implement
transparent data encryption without introducing into core. Adding a
hook to the point where flushing data to the disk for encryption,
compression and tracking dirty blocks has ever been proposed but it
has been rejected every time.

> I am somewhat doubtful that the, imo significant, complexity of the
> feature is worth it, but that's imo a different discussion.
>

> > > Sure, I know the code is currently calling ooenssl functions. I was
> > > responding to Masahiko-san's message that we might eventually merge this
> > > openssl code into our tree.
> >
> > No.  This absolutely, positively, will not happen.  There will never be
> > crypto functions in our core tree, because then there'd be no recourse for
> > people who want to use Postgres in countries with restrictions on crypto
> > software.  It's hard enough for them that we have such code in contrib
> > --- but at least they can remove pgcrypto and be legal.  If it's in
> > src/common then they're stuck
>
> Isn't that basically a problem of the past by now?  Partially due to
> changed laws (e.g. France, which used to be a problematic case), but
> also because it's basically futile to have import restrictions on
> cryptography by now. Just about every larger project contains
> significant amounts of cryptographic code and it's entirely impractical
> to operate anything interfacing with network without some form of
> transport encryption.  And just about all open source distribution
> mechanism have stopped separating out crypto code a long time ago.
>
> I however do agree that we should strive to not introduce cryptographic
> code into the pg source tree

It doesn't include the case where we introduce the code using openssl
cryptographic function library to the core. Is that right?

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada            http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/