Re: Internal key management system

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Internal key management system
Дата
Re: Internal key management system  (Masahiko Sawada <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-02-08 12:07:57 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> For the same reason, I don't think that an "internal key management"
> feature in the core code is ever going to be acceptable.  It has to
> be an extension.  (But, as long as it's an extension, whether it's
> bringing its own crypto or relying on some other extension for that
> doesn't matter from the legal standpoint.)

I'm not convinced by that. We have optional in-core functionality that
requires external libraries, and we add more cases, if necessary. Given
that the goal of this work is to be useful for on-disk encryption, I
don't see moving it into an extension being viable?

I am somewhat doubtful that the, imo significant, complexity of the
feature is worth it, but that's imo a different discussion.

> > Sure, I know the code is currently calling ooenssl functions. I was
> > responding to Masahiko-san's message that we might eventually merge this
> > openssl code into our tree.
>
> No.  This absolutely, positively, will not happen.  There will never be
> crypto functions in our core tree, because then there'd be no recourse for
> people who want to use Postgres in countries with restrictions on crypto
> software.  It's hard enough for them that we have such code in contrib
> --- but at least they can remove pgcrypto and be legal.  If it's in
> src/common then they're stuck

Isn't that basically a problem of the past by now?  Partially due to
changed laws (e.g. France, which used to be a problematic case), but
also because it's basically futile to have import restrictions on
cryptography by now. Just about every larger project contains
significant amounts of cryptographic code and it's entirely impractical
to operate anything interfacing with network without some form of
transport encryption.  And just about all open source distribution
mechanism have stopped separating out crypto code a long time ago.

I however do agree that we should strive to not introduce cryptographic
code into the pg source tree - nobody here seems to have even close to
enough experience to maintaining / writing that.

Greetings,

Andres Freund