Re: Network performance optimization

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: Network performance optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Fabio:

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 1:05 PM Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti
<f.venchiarutti@ocado.com> wrote:
> Even if network datagrams moved at the speed of light and with no
> serialisation/forwarding delay (which they don't), you're still going to
> deal with several thousand KMs of distance; I'm positively surprised
> you're getting such short round-trip times as it stands.

Light travels at about a foot per nanosecond in air/vacuum, 20 cm per
nanosecond in glass IIRC, so you can RTT 10cm per nanosecond in fiber.
This amounts to 100km per millisecond. 1200 to 1600 km in 12-16 ms.
East-1/2 are N.Virginia / Ohio, which can be from 240 to 950 km apart
( on a quick google maps measure, not several thousands ), depending
on the exact place. And Amazon has really fast pipes going between
their regions, so this is not surprising. I have 55ms from ireland (eu
west 1) to N.Virg., and they are 5500 km over the great circle.

Francisco Olarte.

Сообщение: Re: Unexpected results when using GROUP BY GROUPING SETS and bind variables
Сообщение: Re: Unexpected results when using GROUP BY GROUPING SETS and bind variables