Re: Network performance optimization

От Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti
Тема Re: Network performance optimization
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 09/09/2020 04:59, J . Mageshwaran wrote:
> Hi Team, I am performing some benchmark testing with application in aws
> east 2 and dB in East 1. I am using pgbench for benchmark, the RTT
> Latency between East 1 to east2 is some where between 12 to 16 ms on an
> average. Is there any optimization that can be done to reduce the
> latency and increase the throughout to the PostgreSQL layer?

Even if network datagrams moved at the speed of light and with no
serialisation/forwarding delay (which they don't), you're still going to
deal with several thousand KMs of distance; I'm positively surprised
you're getting such short round-trip times as it stands.

If you have any control over the application code, IMO your best shot is
to coalesce DB interactions into as few smarter DB queries as you can
for each higher order operation (eg: RESTful API calls), as you'll be
paying for that fixed RTT overhead for each command.

--
Regards

Fabio Ugo Venchiarutti
OSPCFC Network Engineering Dpt.
Ocado Technology

--

Notice:
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material of

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
immediately and delete all copies of this message. Please note that it is
your responsibility to scan this message for viruses.

References to the
"Ocado Group" are to Ocado Group plc (registered in England and Wales with
number 7098618) and its subsidiary undertakings (as that expression is
defined in the Companies Act 2006) from time to time. The registered office
of Ocado Group plc is Buildings One & Two, Trident Place, Mosquito Way,
Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9UL.