Re: [GENERAL] Postgres goes to auto recovery mode after systemrestart(check this draft)

От Francisco Olarte
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Postgres goes to auto recovery mode after systemrestart(check this draft)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Manoj:

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Manojkumar S
<manojkumar.krishnamurthy@zohocorp.com> wrote:
>       I started Postgres from command line using pg_ctl.exe and restarted my
> windows machine. Whenever I start postgres again after machine restart,
> postgres goes to auto recovery mode. What is the reason for this behavior?

Unclean shutdown (of postgres) -> recovery on start.

> Is there a way to overcome this? . The same behavior is being reproduced
> every time with any version of postgres and even if I start postgres with
> postgres.exe.
> PS: This behavior does not occur if I start postgres as a windows service

Then start it as a service. My guess is when started as a service it
manages to get informed of (system) shutdowns and does a clean
(postgres) shutdown, but when started as a normal program windows just
kills it on shutdown ( this happens in other OS too depending on how
you manage it ). IIRC windows had infraestructure to do that with
services, but haven't used it since they launched XP so I'm really
rusty and outdated.

Francisco Olarte