Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE
Дата
Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE  (Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 22 May 2012 12:35, Florian Pflug <fgp@phlo.org> wrote:

>> * Allow users to access tables in >1 database easily, with appropriate rights.
>
> That one I'm very sceptical about. In the long run, I think we want better
> separation of databases, not less, and this requirement carries a huge risk
> of standing in the way of that. Also, I think that once we integrate the postgres
> FDW into core (that's the plan in the long run, right?), we're going to get
> a good approximation of that essentially for free.

It's a poor approximation of it, free or not.

If it actually worked well, I'd be happy. It doesn't. No proper
transaction support, no session pool, poor planning etc etc. At best
its a band-aid, not something sufficiently good to recommend for
general production use.

FDWs are very good but aren't good enough for intra-database usage.

Сообщение: Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE
Сообщение: Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE