Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE

От Florian Pflug
Тема Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE
Дата
Re: Changing the concept of a DATABASE  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On May22, 2012, at 11:46 , Simon Riggs wrote:
> * Ability to have a Role that can only access one Database
>
> * Allow user info to be dumped with a database, to make a db
> completely self-consistent

These two could be achieved by having database-local roles I think.

> * Allow databases to be transportable

That would be very useful, but extremely hard to do unless we switch to
per-database XID spaces. Or unless we're content with having databases
only be transportable after some special "MAKE TRANSPORTABLE" operation,
which would freeze all tuples and make the database read-only.

> * Allow users to access tables in >1 database easily, with appropriate rights.

That one I'm very sceptical about. In the long run, I think we want better
separation of databases, not less, and this requirement carries a huge risk
of standing in the way of that. Also, I think that once we integrate the postgres
FDW into core (that's the plan in the long run, right?), we're going to get
a good approximation of that essentially for free.

best regards,
Florian Pflug