Re: Time to drop plpython2?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Дата
Re: Time to drop plpython2?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 3:30 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The info I checked said that RHEL7 originally shipped with 3.3.
> I'm not sure that Red Hat would've outright replaced that, but they
> do have a notion of add-on "software collections", and I'm certain
> that they would have provided newer pythons via that mechanism.
> So it should only be a big issue for someone who didn't want to install
> an add-on collection.  I suppose the overlap of that group with the
> people who will want to put PG 15+ on that platform is probably nil.

It'd only be an issue if they want to compile from source, right?
We're not speaking of changing the runtime prerequisites, IIUC.

I think it's really important that we continue to run on all of the
supported Linux distributions and even some recently-out-of-support
ones if they are popular. My experience is that many people stay on
whatever version of RHEL they've got for quite a long time. I think
we'll be doing ourselves a disservice if such people find that they
can't easily upgrade to newer versions of PostgreSQL without
installing a bunch of new software and/or upgrading software they've
already got on the machine.

On the other hand, the class of users that I'm thinking about does not
typically install anything from source, so they are not directly
impacted by build prerequisites.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com