Re: Time to drop plpython2?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 3:30 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The info I checked said that RHEL7 originally shipped with 3.3.

> It'd only be an issue if they want to compile from source, right?
> We're not speaking of changing the runtime prerequisites, IIUC.

I'm not sure.  Does it make sense to document that pl/python has
a different Python version requirement than the build system does?
If we do, who exactly is going to be testing that such a combination
works?  Will it even be possible to compile pl/python against Python
headers/libs of a different Python generation than meson is running
under?

ISTM we'd be a lot better off saying "the minimum Python version is
3.something", full stop, and then making sure that that minimum is
represented in the buildfarm.  But it's not quite clear yet what
"something" needs to be.

> I think it's really important that we continue to run on all of the
> supported Linux distributions and even some recently-out-of-support
> ones if they are popular.

I agree completely, which is why I'm raising the point.