Re: New CF app deployment

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: New CF app deployment
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Well, if it's essentially unusable, then we've reached parity with the
> old app (yes, you deserved that).

No, I didn't.  What we had before I wrote that tool was a bunch of
wiki pages you put together which were forever having problems with
multiple people editing the page at the same time, and not always
adhering to the formatting standards, and sometimes accidentally or
purposefully deleting things other people had done.  The tool was
written to mimic that, but without the edit-war chaos.  So, if sucked,
it sucked because it mimicked something designed by you.  Furthermore,
if it sucked so bad, why did it take anyone 5 years to get around to
rewriting it?  It took me less than a year to get around to replacing
what you wrote.

> The difference between the old and new apps is that it's actually
> *possible* to improve things on the new app, which was never going to
> happen on the old one.

That is probably a fair critique.

> There's also a significant advantage in knowing
> that the entire email thread is available on a patch without someone
> having to remember to manually paste in each message ID, something which
> failed to happen at least 1/3 of the time for important messages.

As far as I can see, the new app offers no real advantage in this
regard.  The thing that really made things better here is the work
that was done to make threading in our archives work properly.  In the
old app, you could click on the last message for which someone put the
message-ID and then go to the end of the thread.  In the new app, you
can... pretty much do the same thing.  It's not like every message in
the thread shows up in the app.  The latest one with an attachment
does, but that's not necessarily the latest patch version.

(While I'm complaining, the links only go to the "flat" version of the
thread, while I happen to prefer the version that shows one message at
a time with a message-ID selector to switch messages.)

> What would be cool is a way to "flag" individual messages in the email
> thread as being important.  Will give it some thought and suggest something.

You make that comment as if three people hadn't already +1'd that idea.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company