Re: When should be advocate external projects?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: When should be advocate external projects?
Дата
Re: When should be advocate external projects?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> I like the idea of having a page on postgresql.org where we say "here
>> are a list of other great open source tools that you should check out
>> and use with PostgreSQL".  It could be grouped by category.  I think a
>> "drivers" category would be really good - like why should people have
>> to use Google to find a node.js driver for PostgreSQL?  And there can
>> be a "replication" category that lists pglogical, Slony, Londiste,
>> Bucardo.  And a "middleware" category for pgpool and pgbouncer.
>>
>> There may be some cases where it's not clear whether something
>> qualifies, so, yeah, we might need some guidelines for that.  But I'm
>> +1 on the concept.  I am -1 on promoting pglogical over every other
>> thing out there but I am +1 for promoting it as one of several
>> widely-used replication tools for PostgreSQL.
>
> That's basically what the software catalogue does, isn't it? It needs to be
> revamped to be more user friendly, and more promoted, but as a  basis?

Sure, that kind of idea.  I'd forgotten we had that.  I think that we
should go to a format with just one line for each piece of software,
though, instead of a big box.  And try to get it all one one page.
And remove all of the proprietary products or put them in a separate
section.  And include only stuff that's actually reasonably widely
used.

Maybe we should just go stand up a wiki page to start.  What's in the
software catalog right now looks useless to me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company