Re: When should be advocate external projects?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: When should be advocate external projects?
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 05/12/2016 08:44 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> I like the idea of having a page on postgresql.org where we say "here
>>> are a list of other great open source tools that you should check out
>>> and use with PostgreSQL".  It could be grouped by category.  I think a
>>> "drivers" category would be really good - like why should people have
>>> to use Google to find a node.js driver for PostgreSQL?  And there can
>>> be a "replication" category that lists pglogical, Slony, Londiste,
>>> Bucardo.  And a "middleware" category for pgpool and pgbouncer.
>>>
>>> There may be some cases where it's not clear whether something
>>> qualifies, so, yeah, we might need some guidelines for that.  But I'm
>>> +1 on the concept.  I am -1 on promoting pglogical over every other
>>> thing out there but I am +1 for promoting it as one of several
>>> widely-used replication tools for PostgreSQL.
>>
>> That's basically what the software catalogue does, isn't it? It needs to be
>> revamped to be more user friendly, and more promoted, but as a  basis?
>
> Sure, that kind of idea.  I'd forgotten we had that.  I think that we
> should go to a format with just one line for each piece of software,
> though, instead of a big box.  And try to get it all one one page.
> And remove all of the proprietary products or put them in a separate
> section.  And include only stuff that's actually reasonably widely
> used.

This is the part I see is going to be the biggest problem, who is going
to curate this stuff? As you mention below the information is of dubious
value as it stands now. While the idea of including third party stuff on
the site is noble, I have yet to see an actual plan to ensure that it is
handled in a timely manner and with accuracy.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com