Re: More tzdb fun: POSIXRULES is being deprecated upstream

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: More tzdb fun: POSIXRULES is being deprecated upstream
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 1:05 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > It's a little confusing, though, that you documented it as Mm.n.d but
> > then in the text the order of explanation is d then m then n. Maybe
> > switch the text around so the order matches, or even use something
> > like Mmonth.occurrence.day.
>
> Yeah, I struggled with that text for a bit.  It doesn't seem to make sense
> to explain that n means the n'th occurrence of a particular d value before
> we've explained what d is, so explaining the fields in their syntactic
> order seems like a loser.  But we could describe m first without that
> problem.

You could consider something along the lines of:

This form specifies a transition that always happens during the same
month and on the same day of the week. m identifies the month, from 1
to 12. n specifies the n'th occurrence of the day number identified by
d. n is a value between 1 and 4, or 5 meaning the last occurrence of
that weekday in the month (which could be the fourth or the fifth). d
is a value between 0 and 6, with 0 indicating Sunday.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company