Re: [patch] demote

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [patch] demote
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2020-06-18 13:24:38 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > ... To go back to recovery rather than just to a read-only
> > state, I think you'd need to grapple with some additional issues that
> > patch doesn't touch, like some of the snapshot-taking stuff, but I
> > think you still need to solve all of the problems that it does deal
> > with, unless you're OK with killing every session.
>
> It seems like this is the core decision that needs to be taken.  If
> we're willing to have these state transitions include a server restart,
> then many things get simpler.  If we're not, it's gonna cost us in
> code complexity and hence bugs.  Maybe the usability gain is worth it,
> or maybe not.
>
> I think it would probably be worth the trouble to pursue both designs in
> parallel for awhile, so we can get a better handle on exactly how much
> complexity we're buying into with the more ambitious definition.

What I like about ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY is that it basically would
likely be a part of both a restart and a non-restart based
implementation.

I don't really get why the demote in this thread is mentioned as an
alternative - it pretty obviously has to include a large portion of
ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY.

The only part that could really be skipped by going straight to demote
is a way to make ASRO invocable directly. You can simplify a bit more by
killing all user sessions, but at that point there's not that much
upshot for having no-restart version of demote in the first place.

The demote patch in this thread doesn't even start to attack much of the
real complexity around turning a primary into a standby.

To me the complexity of a restartless demotion are likely worth it. But
it doesn't seem feasible to get there in one large step. So adding
individually usable sub-steps like ASRO makes sense imo.

Greetings,

Andres Freund