Re: Update minimum SSL version

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Update minimum SSL version
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 9:44 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> Actually, no, what I am writing here is incorrect.  We should make
> sure of that the default configuration is correct at initdb time, and
> the patch does not do that.

I think that would be overkill. There shouldn't be many people who are
running with a version of PostgreSQL that is 8 years newer than the
version of OpenSSL they are using, and who are also relying on SSL,
and even if there are such people, it's a pretty minor configuration
change to make it work. However, it would be worth putting in some
effort to make sure that we give a good error message if this happens.
I'm not sure how practical that is. But there's a big difference
between giving an incomprehensible OpenSSL message that says "things
aren't working and good luck figuring out why" and giving a message
that says something like:

ERROR: ssl_min_protocol_version specifies TLSv1.2, but your OpenSSL
library does not support protocol versions beyond TLSv1.1

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company