Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for beta announcement
Дата
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement  (Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/2017 07:09 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org> wrote:
>>> From a PR standpoint, 5 is the absolute max, and 3 is better.  Really,
>>> the ideal situation is a set of features which can be closely tied
>>> together around a simple theme.
>>
>> I kinda don't buy this, but I suppose if I had to pick three, I'd pick
>> partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query.  If I
>> could add a fourth I'd add SCRAM, particularly because that really
>> needs testing and driver support.
>
> 3-5 is the sweet spot for a PR. I think SCRAM being listed is a very good
> thing.

Well, the problem is that everybody's going to have their own ideas on
what is most important.  A release announcement that said
partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query could
sound dreadfully boring to someone who cares about SCRAM, better query
planning when RLS is in use, and the default configuration allowing
replication.  I don't suppose there's a whole lot we can do about that
- we can't list everything - but we're blessed (or cursed) with
needing to promote a release that really has a ton of great stuff in
it, and we don't want people to tune out because the stuff they care
about isn't listed.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement