Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 04/09/2017 02:56 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I kinda don't buy this, but I suppose if I had to pick three, I'd pick
>>> partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query.  If I
>>> could add a fourth I'd add SCRAM, particularly because that really
>>> needs testing and driver support.
>>
>> 3-5 is the sweet spot for a PR. I think SCRAM being listed is a very good
>> thing.
>
> Well, the problem is that everybody's going to have their own ideas on
> what is most important.  A release announcement that said
> partitioning, logical replication, and improved parallel query could
> sound dreadfully boring to someone who cares about SCRAM, better query
> planning when RLS is in use, and the default configuration allowing
> replication.  I don't suppose there's a whole lot we can do about that
> - we can't list everything - but we're blessed (or cursed) with
> needing to promote a release that really has a ton of great stuff in
> it, and we don't want people to tune out because the stuff they care
> about isn't listed.

No quesiton.  That's why we divide the beta announcement into two
sections: one with the features we'd like press/reddit/etc. to pick up,
and one with all of the features which we want users to test. This is
different from the final release PR, which will include only the banner
features. To clarify:

Banner Features
---------------

2-5 Features which meet all of:

- will excite the press/twittersphere
- potentially ensnare new users
- can explain to non-DB geeks in 1-2 sentences

Ideally, the above fits around a "theme", but we'll see.

Additional Features
-------------------

3-12 Features which meet any of:

- major features not included in above
- things we really want user testing on
- big API changes
- other stuff we think might grab attention in specific communities

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!

Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Assembling "top features" list for betaannouncement