Re: Teach pg_receivewal to use lz4 compression

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Teach pg_receivewal to use lz4 compression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 8:17 AM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Um, why?
>
> That we are using zlib to provide the compression is an implementation detail. Whereas AFAIK "gzip" refers to both
theprogram and the format. And we specifically use the gzxxx() functions in zlib, in order to produce gzip format.

> I think for the end user, it is strictly better to name it "gzip", and given that the target of this option is the
enduser we should do so. (It'd be different it we were talking about a build-time parameter to configure).

I agree. Also, I think there's actually a file format called "zlib"
which is slightly different from the "gzip" format, and you have to be
careful not to generate the wrong one.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: refactoring basebackup.c