Re: Drop type "smgr"?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Drop type "smgr"?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 1:03 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> The type smgr has only one value 'magnetic disk'.  ~15 years ago it
> also had a value 'main memory', and in Berkeley POSTGRES 4.2 there was
> a third value 'sony jukebox'.  Back then, all tables had an associated
> block storage manager, and it was recorded as an attribute relsmgr of
> pg_class (or pg_relation as it was known further back).  This was the
> type of that attribute, removed by Bruce in 3fa2bb31 (1997).
>
> Nothing seems to break if you remove it (except for some tests using
> it in an incidental way).  See attached.

FWIW, +1 from me.  I thought about arguing to remove this a number of
years ago when I was poking around in this area for some reason, but
it didn't seem important enough to be worth arguing about then.  Now,
because we're actually going to maybe-hopefully get some more smgrs
that do interesting things, it seems worth the arguing...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company