Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 8:42 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> > Why not?
>
> Because we have released v11 so as we respect the permissions set on
> the source instead from which the backup is taken for all the folder's
> content.  If we begin to enforce it we may break some cases.  If a new
> option is introduced, it seems to me that the default should remain
> what has been released with v11, but that it is additionally possible
> to enforce group permissions or non-group permissions at will on the
> backup taken for all the contents in the data folder, including the
> root folder, created manually or not before running the pg_basebackup
> command.

I don't agree with that logic, because setting the permissions of the
content one way and the directory another cannot really be what anyone
wants.

If we're going to go with -g {inherit|none|group} then -g inherit
ought to do what was originally proposed on this thread -- i.e. set
the directory permissions to match the contents.  I don't think that's
a change that can or should be back-patched, but we should make it
consistent as part of this cleanup.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company