Re: MV patch broke users of ExplainOneQuery_hook

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: MV patch broke users of ExplainOneQuery_hook
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> The materialized views patch adjusted ExplainOneQuery to take an
>> additional DestReceiver argument, but failed to add a matching
>> argument to the definition of ExplainOneQuery_hook.  This makes the
>> hook unusable.  The idea of this hook is that your hook function will
>> do something before and/or after calling pg_plan_query and
>> ExplainOnePlan.  But this no longer works, because ExplainOnePlan
>> needs the DestReceiver, which hasn't been exposed to the hook.   :-(
>
> TBH I'd like to revert all of that anyway; it seemed to me to be
> basically gratuitous breakage of an API used by plugins.  I've not
> had time to look at whether there was an actual reason for it and
> if so how we might solve that differently.

Oops.  I just pushed a fix for the situation as it stands, but it's
only 2 lines, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to revert it if we
decide on a different approach.  I do agree it would be nice not to
need to change the API there.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: MV patch broke users of ExplainOneQuery_hook
Сообщение: Re: MV patch broke users of ExplainOneQuery_hook