Re: RFC: Additional Directory for Extensions

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: RFC: Additional Directory for Extensions
Дата
Re: RFC: Additional Directory for Extensions
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 3:13 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> I support the idea of there being a second location from where to load
> shared libraries ... but I don't like the idea of making it
> runtime-configurable.  If we want to continue to tighten up what
> superuser can do, then one of the things that has to go away is the
> ability to load shared libraries from arbitrary locations
> (dynamic_library_path).  I think we should instead look at making those
> locations hardcoded at compile time.  The packager can then decide where
> those things go, and the superuser no longer has the ability to load
> arbitrary code from arbitrary locations.

Is "tighten up what the superuser can do" on our list of objectives?
Personally, I think we should be focusing mostly, and maybe entirely,
on letting non-superusers do more things, with appropriate security
controls. The superuser can ultimately do anything, since they can
cause shell commands to be run and load arbitrary code into the
backend and write code in untrusted procedural languages and mutilate
the system catalogs and lots of other terrible things.

Now, I think there are environments where people have used things like
containers to try to lock down the superuser, and while I'm not sure
that can ever be particularly water-tight, if it were the case that
this patch would make it a whole lot easier for a superuser to bypass
the kinds of controls that people are imposing today, that might be an
argument against this patch. But ... off-hand, I'm not seeing such an
exposure.

On the patch itself, I find the documentation for this to be fairly
hard to understand. I think it could benefit from an example. I'm
confused about whether this is intended to let me search for
extensions in /my/temp/root/usr/lib/postgresql/... by setting
extension_directory=/my/temp/dir, or whether it's intended me to
search both /usr/lib/postgresql as I normally would and also
/some/other/place. If the latter, I wonder why we don't handle shared
libraries by setting dynamic_library_path and then just have an
analogue of that for control files.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes
Сообщение: Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes