Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> I'm actually rather unconvinced that it's all that common that all
> subtransactions are on one page. If you have concurrency - otherwise
> there'd be not much point in this patch - they'll usually be heavily
> interleaved, no?  You can argue that you don't care about subxacts,
> because they're more often used in less concurrent scenarios, but if
> that's the argument, it should actually be made.

But a single clog page holds a lot of transactions - I think it's
~32k.  If you have 100 backends running, and each one allocates an XID
in turn, and then each allocates a sub-XID in turn, and then they all
commit, and then you repeat this pattern, >99% of transactions will be
on a single CLOG page.  And that is a pretty pathological case.

It's true that if you have many short-running transactions interleaved
with occasional long-running transactions, and the latter use
subxacts, the optimization might fail to apply to the long-running
subxacts fairly often.  But who cares?  Those are, by definition, a
small percentage of the overall transaction stream.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company