Re: 9.3: load path to mitigate load penalty for checksums

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: 9.3: load path to mitigate load penalty for checksums
Дата
Re: 9.3: load path to mitigate load penalty for checksums  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 22:16 -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
>> Note that, currently, only VACUUM sets PD_ALL_VISIBLE and visibility map bits.
>> Would you make something else like heap_multi_insert() be able to do so?
>
> That was the plan (roughly). I was thinking about doing it at the time a
> new page was allocated.
>
>> Avoiding measurable overhead in tuple visibility checks when the feature is
>> inactive may well prove to be a key implementation challenge.
>
> Perhaps a rudimentary CLOG cache, or some other way to mitigate CLOG
> access could make it bearable.
>
> Although I would like it to be an online operation, I'm not quite as
> concerned about reads. I'd like to mitigate any major penalty, but if
> reads are expensive during a load, than so be it.
>
>> > Then, it would remember the current xid
>> > as max_loader_xid, and wait until the global xmin is greater than
>> > max_loader_xid. This should ensure that all snapshots regard all loading
>> > transactions as complete.
>>
>> ... this might not be.  Each backend could decide, based on its own xmin,
>> whether to ignore PD_ALL_VISIBLE in a given table.  In other words, your
>> ignorehints flag could be an xmin set to InvalidTransactionId during stages 1
>> and 2 and to the earliest safe xmin during stages 0 and 3.
>
> That's a good idea. It might make it easier to implement, and removing a
> step from finalization is certainly a big plus.
>
>> >  * INITIATE and FINALIZE probably need to use PreventTransactionChain()
>> > and multiple transactions, to avoid holding the ShareUpdateExclusiveLock
>> > for too long. Also, we want to keep people from using it in the same
>> > transaction as the loading xact, because they might not realize that
>> > they would get a concurrency of 1 that way (because of the
>> > ShareUpdateExclusiveLock).
>>
>> Yes.  You need to commit the transaction modifying pg_class so other backends
>> can observe the change, at which point you can gather the list to wait on.
>>
>> Consider splitting the INITIATE UI into two interfaces, one that transitions
>> from state 0 to state 1 and another that expects state 1 and blocks until we
>> reach state 2.  You then have no need for PreventTransactionChain(), and the
>> interfaces could even be normal functions.  It's less clear how reasonably you
>> could do this for the FINALIZE step, given its implicit VACUUM.  It could be
>> achieved by having the user do the VACUUM and making the new interface merely
>> throw an error if a VACUUM is still needed.  The trivial usage pattern might
>> look like this:
>>
>> SELECT pg_initiate_load('bigtbl');
>> SELECT pg_wait_load('bigtbl'); -- not a great name
>> COPY bigtbl FROM STDIN;
>> SELECT pg_stop_load('bigtbl');
>> VACUUM bigtbl;
>> SELECT pg_finalize_load('bigtbl');
>>
>> It's definitely less elegant, alas.  Perhaps offer the interface you've
>> proposed and have it do the above under the hood.  That way, users with
> [...]

Instead of trying to maintain MVCC semantics, maybe we should just
have something like COPY (FROZEN) that just writes frozen tuples into
the table and throws MVCC out the window.  Seems like that would be a
lot easier to implement and satisfy basically the same use cases.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company