Re: Ability to listen on two unix sockets

От Honza Horak
Тема Re: Ability to listen on two unix sockets
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

>>> Why would that matter?  If you configure M ports and N Unix socket
>>> locations, you get M*N actual sockets created.
>>
>> ...I *seriously* doubt that this is the behavior anyone wants.
>> Creating M sockets per directory seems patently silly.
>
> How else would it work?
>
> If I say, syntax aside, listen on "ports" 5432 and 5433, and use socket
> directories /tmp and /var/run/postgresql, then a libpq-using client
> would expect to be able to connect using
>
> -h /tmp -p 5432
> -h /tmp -p 5433
> -h /var/run/postgresql -p 5432
> -h /var/run/postgresql -p 5433

This could be true in case all listening ports are equal, which I guess
isn't a good idea, because IIUIC the port number as a part of the socket
name is used for distinguish sockets of various postmasters in the same
directory. In that scenario every client should know which port to
connect and also which one is primary.

Regards,
Honza